B.C. TOMS & CO OIL AND GAS, NATURAL RESOURCES AND RENEWABLE ENERGY GROUP
B. C. Toms & Co HAS 28 years of practice experience handling major oil and gas, natural resources and renewable energy matters in Ukraine and abroad.
The principal lawyers of our oil and gas and natural resources practice group include:
Commitment to quality is the cornerstone of our legal practice. Our over 28 years of experience in Ukraine give us a significant advantage to understand the many hidden problems and loopholes under Ukrainian law that need to be addressed to eliminate risks in Ukrainian transactions for oil and gas and other natural resources as well as for renewable energy. In particular, we have extensive experience resolving the many problems that can undermine licenses as well as title to land plots, wells and mines.
We have represented major multinational oil and gas companies and independents for substantial oil and gas exploration, development and production projects, joint venture (activity) agreements with state and private entities, acquisitions and sales of Ukrainian oil and gas companies and LPG trading certificates, oil and gas license agreements and special mining law issues as well as to handle the resolution of important disputes among private parties and with the State and state enterprises. We have also assisted with practical commercial advice to set up numerous Ukrainian subsidiaries and joint ventures (based primarily on joint activity agreements).
Among the most significant oil and gas and natural resources transactions in Ukraine that we have successfully handled are the following examples:
- Handling, including to conduct due diligence, the acquisition of one of Ukraine’s largest oil and gas companies;
- Conducting due diligence and handling the acquisition by an important western fund of an investment in a major joint activity agreement with a large state oil and gas company;
- Advising on the first successful oil and gas project financing in Ukraine, which involved the EBRD and a UK oil and gas company, including to review and, where appropriate, negotiate revisions to this company’s land leases, services contracts, license agreements, etc.;
- Advising, beginning in 1993, a major multinational oil and gas company on its exploration projects in Ukraine as well as on certain downstream activities;
- Advising a joint venture involving a major French oil and gas company on its refurbishment of a large Ukrainian oil refinery;
- Advising a Canadian exploration company on both its various joint activity agreements and its projects based on the exploration and production licensing of a joint venture entity;
- Advising a UK oil and gas company and its underwriters on all aspects of its exploration and production activities in Ukraine, including its licenses and its contracts for operations and pipeline construction, as well as handling certain restructurings, based on which it raised approximately US $500 million in an initial public offering, and a subsequent rights issue, on the London Stock Exchange;
- Advising a Ukrainian oil and gas joint venture on the sale of interests in its production, including on offshore corporate and tax structuring aspects;
- Advising a multinational mining company on legal issues for its minerals mining joint venture;
- Representing a foreign investor in its acquisition of a Ukrainian oil refinery.