B. C. Toms & Co, a multinational law firm of Western and Ukrainian lawyers, was the first Western law firm to open a Kyiv office in September 1991. Our Firm is ranked by the independent KyivPost survey of law firms, as one of the several leading law firms in Ukraine. Our foreign and Ukrainian lawyers have excellent qualifications from leading law schools and many years of practice experience.
Commitment to quality is the cornerstone of our law practice. Our over 28 years of experience in Ukraine give us a significant advantage in understanding the many hidden problems and loopholes that need to be addressed to eliminate risks in financial transactions. In particular, we have extensive experience identifying and resolving the many Ukrainian law problems that can undermine the validity of Ukrainian loan documentation. We have also handled numerous complex trade finance transactions. In addition, we have special expertise in resolving hidden Ukrainian law problems, such as those that can be buried in the past, but later can undermine title to land plots, buildings and other real estate involved in secured finance. Our securities law record includes having represented issuers and securities firms in many of the initial public offerings (IPOs) in the UK and Canada for Ukrainian companies, such as by acting for the issuer for the first ever Ukrainian IPO on the London Stock Exchange.
Our Banking and Securities Law Practice Group has successfully handled many of the largest financial transactions in Ukraine, including recently, for example:
(1) Advising a consortium of leading western banks on a USD 200 million loan to a major Ukrainian telecommunications company;
(2) Handling a trade finance transaction involving grain, including to advise on structuring the transaction and drafting pledges and other security documentation;
(3) Representing a leading European bank for a CHF 49,000,000 facility for a large Ukrainian bank;
(4) Advising a foreign financial services company on structuring a cross-border truck leasing program;
(5) Providing legal advice to an oil and gas company on a project financing, largely funded by the EBRD, for exploration, development and production in Ukraine, including to build a gas pipeline, a railroad line and processing facilities;
(6) Advising a major international bank on security for its loans in Ukraine;
(7) Advising a major investment bank on their financing trading transactions, as well as advising on the use of derivatives therefor;
(8) Representing the nominated adviser for an oil and gas company’s IPO on the AIM market to raise funding for this issuer’s Ukrainian subsidiary, including to conduct due diligence and advise on the disclosures in the admission document; and
(9) Handling the Ukrainian aspects of a multinational bank’s financing of the construction of a steel mill, as well as the related export agency funding, including to arrange all security in Ukraine as required for the loans.